Coffee doesn’t have a good reputation – it has addictive properties, can have an adverse effect on health, and its dark colour can easily stain tooth enamel. We often overlook the fact that coffee is made up of not just caffeine, but also other substances, including valuable antioxidants that have a positive effect on health. What are the benefits of coffee?
Properties of coffee
A brew of coffee beans contains over 1000 bioactive substances. The most significant being caffeine and polyphenolic compounds (mainly Chlorogenic, quinine and coffee acid). These substances are also characterized by their antioxidant effect – they capture free radicals – and have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
Caffeine is a natural compound found in many plant species, including coffee, tea and cocoa.
A typical cup of coffee usually contains 75-80 mg of caffeine, while the levels in brewed tea and cocoa are lower. Caffeine is the main active ingredient in coffee.
Health benefits of coffee consumption
The main health benefits of drinking coffee are:
- lower risk of death from any cause, as well as from cardiovascular disease, heart disease and stroke,
- lower risk of cancer including prostate cancer, intestinal cancer, endometrial cancer, skin cancer and liver cancer,
- lower risk of type II diabetes and metabolic syndrome,
- lower risk of developing bile and kidney stones,
- lower risk of developing gout,
- lower risk of liver diseases such as liver fibrosis and hepatic cirrhosis,
- lower risk of depression,
- lower risk of Parkinson’s disease,
- lower risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
The results of scientific research clearly indicate Many advantages of drinking coffee. This is an exception for pregnant women, in whom the duration of caffeine effect is doubled. In addition, caffeine is a substance that easily penetrates the placenta, and the activity of the caffeine Metabolizing enzyme CYP1A2 is weak in the developing fetus, which causes prolonged exposure to caffeine.
It is also worth mentioning the ergogenic properties of the main substance found in coffee – caffeine, which is often used by athletes to improve fitness results. In addition, coffee helps with fat reduction.
Have you ever wondered why most weight loss supplements contain caffeine? Because it’s one of the few natural ingredients that really works for fat burning. Coffee speeds up your metabolism and is therefore an Effective weight loss enhancer. Of course, if coffee is to have a beneficial effect on weight loss, it must be served without cream or sugar. It is also best to choose good quality coffee beans.