Even people with healthy lifestyles are constantly exposed to infections. They are associated not only with malaise, but also cause problems at work or school. So how do you make your illness last less?
Rutoside – properties
The rutin (rutoside) is obtained from flowers of the Japanese pagoda tree (Styphnolobium japonicum) and from buckwheat, St. John’s wort, peppermint, rue, barberry, black chokeberry, three-colored violet and black elderberry. Vegetables like onions, sweet potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and fruits – berries, limes, lemons, oranges and grapes are rich in rutin. Sometimes rutin is incorrectly called Vitamin P. It strengthens and seals capillaries, preventing the formation of spider veins or reducing already existing ones. Has anti-exudative properties.
Reduces the cytotoxicity of oxidized cholesterol, prevents the formation of some Highly reactive free Radicals. Slows down the oxidation of vitamin C (thereby prolonging its action). It also has anti-inflammatory effects. Due to rutin, the body can also block some allergic reactions.
How does rutin work?
The most Important properties of rutoside include:
- Antioxidant effect. Rutin reduces the formation of free Radicals that initiate the aging process and contribute to the development of such diseases like atherosclerosis, cancer or stroke.
- The same mechanism has a direct effect on increasing the immunity, which reduces the symptoms of infection and reduces its duration.
- This compound also reduces the formation of prostaglandins that are responsible for the development of inflammation in the first place.
- It is recommended to take suplements with rutin in case of excessive nosebleeds, ruptured blood vessels or bruises, because they seal small blood vessels. In addition, they reduce their susceptibility to cracking. This is very Important in the case of colds, because airtight vessels are a barrier and prevent viruses from entering the body.
- Rutoside prevents the formation of mucosal edema, which allows you to relieve the symptoms of a cold and reduce the symptoms of a runny nose. This compound is a component of drugs that reduce swelling legs.
- Rutoside has been shown to be antiviral. This is particularly Important for the treatment of the common cold, which is always an infection of viral origin.
Side effects of the rutin
Although rutin is found in many drugs, dietary supplements and cosmetics, it should not be treated as a substance completely inert to the body. Prolonged use of rutin may increase the effects of anticoagulants. What’s more, rutin most often occurs with vitamin C, which can reduce the effectiveness of antidepressants, as well as increase the Absorption of iron from the digestive tract. Rutin intake can also lead to the precipitation of crystals of various compounds in the urine. However, its long-term use may increase the effect of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.